Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Immutable

Today, I was trying to center myself and get in tune with God.  I was laying on the floor praying, meditating, contemplating, when I started saying in my head, "Thy will be done" over and over.  Then, it morphed from the Lord's prayer to something more like "Not my will but yours be done."  Which I think is from Jesus' prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane (only took two times to spell that correctly).  

Then, my contemplation broke down, or at least changed.  I began to think about immutability. I began to ask is God immutable or am I?  Is the problem God or me?  I've been having a hard time conforming to God's call and I found myself wondering if God has compromised as much as God will.  Maybe I'm the one stubbornly standing my ground.  Is it me digging my feet in, not willing to bend a little?  Maybe God isn't the "Unmoved Mover" that Aristotelian thought has poisoned our faith with.  Maybe God is super flexible, yet knows when to stop. 

There are a couple of different lines of thought that remove immutability from the list of attributes we give to God.  Most notable is the Open Theism of the Evangelical movement (Greg Boyd is a big proponent of this), and then there is Process Theology, which is based from Alfred North Whitehead's philosophy.  Both of these visions of God show a God who is moved by us.  A God who loves us and responds to us, who is changed by us (this might more process than open theism). But I wonder what the Eastern Church or the Church fathers thought of this.  If you know feel free to leave a comment. 

This process/openness thought seems much truer to the God who offered to spare Sodom and Gomorrah (three tries on that one) as God struck a deal with Abraham.  The God who changed plans in the desert during the Exodus as a response to the way the Israelites acted.  This seem more mutable than immutable.

So what do we do with this?  Is helpful to recognize that God is bending at least to point to us and is inviting (not forcing) us to bend a little more towards God? 

No comments: