Saturday, December 09, 2006

Tis the season!

I was clicking around on the internet a couple of weeks ago and came across this. I was surprised by it, and haven't really been able to get it out of my head since. How very appropriate this is for how the season is really celebrated. I think that children have a better idea of Santa Claus than they do of Jesus being born in a manger in Bethlehem. I'm not saying that we should stop talking about Santa Claus with the kids. I'm not saying that we should stop giving presents and stop watching Christmas movies about Santa Claus. What I am saying is that Christmas is a little too commercial. I like getting presents for my friends and family, and really I don't mind receiving a few gifts. Christmas is about the humble beginnings of Jesus, who went on to do some pretty great things like redeeming us from our sins. It's turned into something that is more about stuff. Jesus was born in a stable. Not in a state of the art hospital. But I think that the humility is gone from Christmas. It's about what we want and what we can buy for other people. I don't think that everyone is like this, but it seems to be more and more prevalent in today's society. Children are about getting more and more, which I think is normal, but now it's not just children who are all about the gimme-gimme's. I think it is time that we stop thinking about ourselves during the holiday season, and start thinking about those who don't have anything. I came across a quote by St. Basil, he was a Cappadocian Theologian from a long time ago. "The bread that you store up belongs to the hungry; the coat that lies in your chest belongs to the naked; the gold that you have hidden in the ground belongs to the poor." I think if we keep this in mind Christmas will look a little different.
Peace homies,
Mark
PS-This comic comes from www.tmcm.com and is drawn by Shannon Wheeler.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'll appreciate this. I was walking into a school the other day to drop off some paperwork, when I heard a kindergarten student say something to the effect of "Jesus is going to get me a Wii for Christmas."

What?? I found several things about what that child said very frightening, but you know what they are. It's quite self-explanatory. At any rate, you inspired me to make my own blog, check it out, it's random as usual. Later dude.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this would be a good time in the year to teach children about generousity. Jesus did the most generous thing a person can do--he gave his own life!--for the rest of us sinners. In the same boat, Santa Claus is quite generous himself, if not in such an extreme way. Maybe we can work on comparing the two "big figures" of the Christmas season and use it as an illustration for children. And I'm not just talking donating money or toys, but also our time and talents to help those with less. Imagine...a society in which people care about one another! If anyone is going to do it, I'm sure it will be a child...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, I thought I would leave you a comment since you left me one. Anyways I agree with your post, and I think it goes hand in hand with my blog about Christmas shoppers.

Anyways I want a Wii too mike.

So anyways peace love and chicken grease