Wednesday, November 29, 2006

"Johnny Quest, he thinks we're WHAT!?"

My favorite band for quite some time now has completely changed their style, and it really pisses my off. The Band is Less Than Jake. They used to be a really cool ska band with some punk influence. Now, they sound like pop, which isn't bad if you want to be a pop band. They used to have a great ska sound with trombones and saxophones, it was great. Now it's just guitar, bass, and drums. They went from awesome songs with nonsensical titles, which were about real people in their lives, to "In with the out crowd." What I've heard of the new album is what is pissing me off. I don't care if a band decided to change up their style some, as long as it doesn't suck when they do. This Johnny Quest does think you are sell-outs (Which is a reference to one of their better songs).

Which leads me to a question that I must ask myself. Does everyone have their price? Is everyone just a few dollars, cents, or people from selling-out? I would define selling out as a compromising your own style, thoughts, beliefs, or background for prestige, money, power, or sex. I just threw sex on there on a whim. Is it always a bad thing to sell-out? I think it is bad for anyone to compromise their own values for money, or anything else I mentioned before. If a person makes a change in his/her life, then that person should do it because it betters them emotionally, physically, or mentally. It should not be to gain something at the expense of someone else. Maybe LTJ made an honest change, but I feel they got too poppy and are isolating all of their old fans for younger ones.

Could I sell-out at anytime? I think it is possible. It's scary to say, but I really do. I'm not sure what I would compromise, or for what reward. I don't really want to make a lot of money. Maybe I would sell-out my beliefs for a class, but I think that would only be for the duration of the class. Actually, I don't know that I could do that either, but I guess it is possible. Maybe we are all "sell-outs" at different points in our lives. We all conform at some point. I think it is a question of whether you stay that way, or go back to being the unique individual you have always been. Anyway, this is getting way to self-helpish, so I'm done.

Don't forget to dance,

Mark

1 comment:

Brad said...

Everyone has there price. At any point, at any time, at any place, if someone put down the right check I would become the best damn robe-wearing, suburban, prosperity gospel-preacing, Camrey-driving, mega-church pastor I could be. Granted, the check would have to be pretty high, but I'd do it.

peace, B