Monday, March 01, 2010

Punk Rock and Christian Concerts

I got some buzz around the sabbath exploration, and I will have more to post on that. First though, I have a little bit of a weird connection between two elements of my life.

Some time late in high school early in college, I began to listen to punk rock. Mostly I listened to ska, but the ska scene of that day which was slowly fading away was merging with the punk rock scene. Thus, I began to listen to and enjoy both. Punk rock has such emotions and struggle with the political climate that they sing angrily about it. I could totally understand. It was a way to voice how helpless they felt in the current social and political climate. I listened to the "diet punk" stuff, which didn't have the same ire, and to the more "hardcore" stuff like Anti-flag.

I have seen Anti-flag twice, and was never very impressed. Here is why. Their music is alright. They aren't my favorite or anything. But they didn't play half their set. First I saw them open for a ska band called Less Than Jake (awesome show by the way). They were pretty alright, but I only heard a couple of their songs. They spent most of their time talking. They complained about the government. They yelled at a security guard for doing his job. They mostly preached to me, and tried to convert me to their ideas. Worse was when I saw them on the Warped Tour. They preached probably 20 minutes of their 30 minute set. It was horrible. I knew we helped trained Osama bin Laden, and I knew why. But I didn't come to the concert to hear about it. I can do my own research. It sucked.

Fast forward to the days of being a youth pastor, which by the way is today. I still enjoy a good angst ridden punk rock tune, but now I tend to go to shows with the teens in my church to contemporary Christian concerts. Here is what I have found. They are the same as an Anti-flag show. Here are a thousand people who came to a Christian show, and we have to do an altar call during and between each set. The people at this show already have done that. Please stop it. I go to a concert for music, which may lead me to live my life differently, not to be told to avoid hell by praying this prayer with the Brooklyn Evangelist. I don't want to be converted at a concert. I want my proverbial socks to be rocked off.

Here is the thing that I have to say to both punk rock bands like Anti-flag, and Christian bands like Third Day. Stop trying to get me to think the way you do with a sermon during the set. Instead, play the music and let it influence the way I see the world. Music is going to almost always be more powerful than simply talking. Write good songs that convey your message whether it is come to Jesus or f@#k the government and let your music do the talking for you.

Thanks and what a strange comparison I just made.

Peace,

mark

No comments: