Monday, March 29, 2010

Sabbath

You know that post a few weeks back with a model for how I would attend to my spiritual life. It's not been something that I have done well at all. I am not good about meditation, although I think it is important. I'm not good about reading my Bible except to plan for lessons. I'm not good about setting aside time for prayer. I don't know why I struggle so much to get into this rhythm. This begs the question: Can I be holy?

The obvious assumption to this question is that setting aside sabbath consisting of the elements listed above is an attempt to be holy. Does prayer, fasting, Bible study, meditation, etc. make a person holy? This isn't usually the kind of question a protestant from the Mid-Western United States typically asks. But it is one that I am asking because quite simply holiness has alluded me my entire life.

The people that I look up to in my life; I wouldn't call holy. The pastors that I have met; I wouldn't call holy. The people who have impressed me by their convictions; I wouldn't call holy. Is holiness a term that can really be applied to humans?

My answer is yes. Humans are holy when they stop trying to be something they are not. People can be holy when they figure out who they are and stop trying to be perfect. People can be holy only when they stop trying to be like God, and acknowledge God for who God is and a person for who the person is. It's not about a mystical connection with the divine, although that doesn't hurt. It's not about the prayers and Bible study. It's not about Sabbath. Sabbath was made for us, not the other way around. Holiness has everything to do with living your life as a human. Recognizing that everyone else is living their lives as humans. Understanding that God is God, and we are not. Understanding that God loves us so much that God squeezed all of God's divinity into a human, so that God would know and understand what it was like to be human.

Being holy isn't about denying your humanness in hopes of becoming divine. Being holy is about embracing your humanness because God loved you so much that God is also embracing your humanness. Being holy is about living your life knowing exactly who you are in relationship to God and others. Embrace your holiness by being human in a world that tells you to be something else. Embrace your holiness by being embraced by God who knows exactly what it means to be holy. Embrace your holiness by seeing others as people who God is embracing out of love. Embrace holiness through prayer, Bible study, meditation, nature hikes, dance, play, lunch with friends, ____________...

How do you embrace holiness?

Shalom,
mark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you, i needed to read that.

the way i might put it would be holiness = being human in the way that God meant for you to be? just my two cents.

Mark said...

I'm not sure who you are, but I like your two cents. Very pithy and right on. Thanks for sharing.