Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Following Devotionals

I'm really bad at following devotionals.  Right now, I'm trying to read through "The Journey" by Adam Hamilton.  It's an advent devotional with a book attached and a dvd series as well.  I've read some of the book, but I'm trying to do the devotional each day.  I'm currently three days behind.  It's not that it's bad or anything.  Actually, it has helped me refocus a little and think a little more clear about the nativity. 

I struggle to carve out the time to sit down and just do it.  In years past, I've tried setting up a specific time for it.  That's not worked and this year was harder, not impossible just harder, to set aside the daily time.  My one year old has seen to that.  So this year, I read it when I think about it.  Which is usually mid morning while sitting in my office.  I'm three days off because I'm not in my office every day of the week. Plus, forcing it seems a little off.  Shouldn't I want to read a devotional in order to dive deeper into to the divine reality?  Why does it feel like work, even when I enjoy the writing?

I could use some input from my one lone reader who stumbles across this.  What do you do to get in the habit of doing a devotional?  What time of day?  How do you hold yourself accountable? 

1 comment:

Shane Moore said...

I am doing the same devotion this Advent season. I have it downloaded on my kindle for phone app. I find that at night before bed is helpful for this devotion. But I understand your struggle. I struggle as well finding a time and keeping a schedule. What I have been doing for the past year is doing devotions for a season so I have a beginning and an ending. I have found that it is helpful to know an end time and then I begin a new deovtion.