Friday, February 07, 2014

#22 We are being created and creating.

So apparently something happened on the internet or TV or something, where Bill "The Science Guy" Nye took on somebody named Ham, Ken Ham, the creation museum guy, in a debate between creation and evolution.  I didn't watch it.  I did, though, watch my twitter feed, which was quite worth it.

From irReligion.org 
On twitter I follow a variety of progressive Christians with a smattering of what I will call new Evangelicals.  The first group is a diverse group of people who all claim the title Christian, but like to think for themselves and question dogma.  I tend to fall into this group.  This is not a monolithic group.  The second group, the new Evangelicals are people who have continued to use the Evangelical label but are open to rethinking the teachings in light of reason and interpretation of the Bible.  Also, not a monolithic group because there is no such thing.

Needless to say both groups made fun of this debate and also pulled out quotes that were good from the debate.  In my estimation from watching none of the debate and reading my very biased twitter feed, Bill Nye won this debate.  But here's the thing.  NO ONE HAS CHANGED THEIR MINDS BECAUSE OF THIS DEBATE.  Whatever camp you were in before, you are still in it.

Here is what I think.  Let's stop the black and white, false binary thinking when it comes to creation.  Let the Bible be what it is, which is an ancient collect of texts that has nothing to do with modern science and history.  And let science be what it is, which is observing and trying to understand how things work and how they go together using a very regimented set of systems and processes.  The Bible is not a science textbook.  Science doesn't really care what the Bible says.  People fall on a broad spectrum of thinking on how the Universe came to be.  Did God do it?  Was it all a Cosmic accident?  Are those two things mutually exclusive?  Were Adam and Eve actually aliens?  Will my list of questions ever stop?

From what I understand, Bill Nye even said that many Christians believe in evolution (I fall in the camp, btdoubs).  So the atheistic scientific materialist said that there seems to be more than one way to see these things, yet the supposedly loving Christian would just as soon limit true Christian expression to his way of thinking.
 
Here is my quick answer for where I fall on this broad spectrum of the question of creation/evolution.  I believe that God created something, then invited us to participate in that creation.  Thus giving incredible amount of freedom and power to the very thing that God created.  We as humans are co-creating with God, and everything else in creation is responding to the creative power of God making creation itself both created and creator.  Now, my brain hurts so I'm just going to quit while I'm confused.  You can draw your own implications from that convoluted statement.

Where do you fall on this spectrum?  Are you 6,000 year old person, or 4.5 billion year old person (I'm actually 32)?  Did God create in 7 days or is God still creating?  What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Joel Kidwell said...

What do you mean when you write, "Also, not a monolithic group because there is no such thing" when talking about what you called "New Evangelicals"?