Friday, February 28, 2014

#23-Listening to voices that are not in your camp is a hard but worthwhile experience.

I have a confession to make.  I am a theological snob.  I turn my nose up at any theology that doesn't fit my approved set of standards.  I turn my nose up at theological writings that I assume are going to be way different from what I believe.  Like I turn my nose up at super conservative, young Earth creationist ways of thinking.  I don't think they will ever actually convince me that the Bible is a science book.  But maybe there is a nugget of wisdom in there somewhere that can be helpful.  I usually just completely avoid people who make these kinds of arguments, but is that the right thing to do?  Or if I do read them it is in a dismissive sort of way that is just about seeing how wrong they are.  This can't be the best way to go about it.

I have been thinking about how I can enter into these writings and think critically without being dismissive and snobby towards other people's thinking.  I think it all has to come down to grace.  As I read a piece on homosexuality or any other hot button issue, I need to enter into this reading with grace.  I believe a certain way and the author of the piece believes a certain way.  Instead of tearing down the person who wrote the article,  I need to ask questions of the text.  Questions about whether or not I agree sure, but also questions like what is the motivation of this article.  Where does this person come from when writing it?  What are the points that are made that are wise?  What can I learn from this piece that isn't just what are the points I need to tear apart, but what can I learn to be more understanding of this person's camp?  How can I learn to be more empathetic to other people's worldviews?

I believe that the only way to actually change someone's mind or point of view is through real authentic relationships.  One time I watched a video interview with an evangelical radio host and Rob Bell.  The conversation was around the issue of homosexuality.  The radio host kept to the evangelical party line about homosexuality and Rob Bell talked about changing his mind on the issue.  Do you know what it was that had changed Mr. Bell's mind?  It was not a well reasoned argument, nor a certain hermeneutical flavor of Biblical interpretation.  Rob Bell changed his mind because of real relationships with real people who are homosexual.  Relationships are better than arguments at changing our ways of thinking.

Therefore, as I think about ways to respond to articles that are contrary to my way of thinking, I am going to try to be empathetic and try to enter into a dialogue with the author (using the text) to better understand myself and this other person.  It does no good for me to dismiss their thinking because it is different, but it also does no good to hurl insults.  The best way to become a better person is to read this article with grace as the lens through which I come up with a response.  This is what I am working on.  How to read and have conversations with people from other camps to become a more understanding person and to understand what wisdom is there that I may dismiss otherwise because it is nestle in thoughts I don't agree with.  In other words, I am trying not to be offended and reactionary, but empathetic and questioning.

How do you go about doing this?  Do you only read things you agree with, or do you branch out?  How has reading outside your comfort zone helped you grow as a person?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, I agree with what you are saying. I cannot help but wonder how you would feel to know that someone did not give you a chance just because you wear glasses and they don't, or they refuse to even listen to your thoughts about the Bible. God gave us all breath. And he gave us all a mind with free will. Just because someone thinks different does not mean they are wrong. I think if more people were open - the world would be closer to peace. I found out when I was 18 to never judge someone by what I would do until I walked in their shoes! Keep blogging - I love reading your thoughts! Tammie L

Sarah Angleton said...

I'm a theological snob, too. But I'm so glad you wrote about this because I have very recently faced a challenge to one of my deeply held beliefs that a few days ago I would have said was an absolute black and white issue with no room for debate. And the challenge didn't come from a theological debate. It came from a real situation involving real people and I was forced (a little uncomfortably) to admit that my absolute conviction was more of a gray than I had ever wanted to believe. The thing about it that scared me was that the realization didn't come after a long tough debate with myself, but from a bullet to the heart and an absolute certainty that I hadn't been entirely right. Ouch! That's the sound of me growing. But I will also say that after this epiphany, I reflected on Scripture and I prayed. A lot. And God is bringing me through it as a much more flexible and loving person than I was before. That's where I find the conversation with Robb Bell a little frustrating. I don't know how thoroughly he has addressed the issue of homosexuality at other times. I suspect he has done so quite a bit because he typically is a very thoughtful and very scripturally grounded speaker/writer, but in this interview, he didn't back it up. Experience is valuable and relationships with people are important, but they should influence us to look harder at the source from which our previous viewpoint was derived. I guess I don't doubt that he has done that, but he seemed unwilling to do it in this interview even to the point of blatantly evading direct questions. I'm disappointed. Not so much in his view, but in his approach to the argument.

Mark said...

Thanks for the comment Tammie.

Sarah-Thanks for sharing your story. It is painful to grow and change for all of us, but I appreciate that you were open to it, no matter how reluctant you may have been. The interview with Rob Bell, if I remember correctly, is at the end of a long speaking tour to promote one of his books. He wasn't really there to discuss any of that because it wasn't part of that book. He started to talk about what he thought those words in Romans in particular mean and talk about context only to get shut down. It is not Rob Bell at his best. It seemed to me that he was a little ambushed and not prepared for it. He is working off of the experience side of the Wesleyan Quadrilateral primarily but wasn't really allowed to dive into Greek translations, or the fact that modern homosexuality was not a concept in the Biblical world. Points I don't know if he actually makes by the way.

I don't know if Rob Bell has ever done more than say that he supports gay marriage. I'll agree his answers there were not super articulate, but I think he did not feel like he would be actually listened to. It was a very leading question to start followed by disowning him from their group.

The illustration was more about how experience with real people changes us more than a well reasoned argument. People are harder to dismiss than ideas.