Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Poem

Here is a poem that I wrote last fall during a hebrew bible class (old testament). We were talking about one of the prophets and this just kind of came out of me. It is loosely based off of a passage, but I'm not really sure which one. Maybe you know.

A Cry for Humanity
My laments fall on deaf ears.
My message is not understood.
My people listen but do not hear.
They nod along but do not understand.

How do I find success in failure?
Where do I see light in darkness?
We shut out God, and fill ourselves with stuff.
We are not satisfied, so we buy more.

My people are not people but stuff.
My people are defined by cars.
They are defined by wars.
Where stuff cannot satisfy maybe death can.

Soon my people will be no more.
Soon my land will not exist.
Soon there will be desolate cities.
Soon there will be peace.

It's a little dark but it is the only poem that I have written that I don't think completely sucks. I don't really write a lot of poetry, so that could be part of it. The only time that I have ever really written poetry is during class when I was supposed to be paying attention. Anyhoo, I hope you enjoyed it.

Express yourself Folks,

Mark

1 comment:

Brad said...

Good stuff, I remember when you wrote that...B