Tuesday, January 15, 2013

#6 I like to read about the Bible more than I like to read the bible.

I have found as I try to prepare for lessons for my youth group that I don't really enjoy reading the Bible itself.  I can open the Bible up and decide that I'm going to read Romans or something, and I absolutely can read it.  The problem is I don't really care that much about it when I just start reading it to read it.  The text means very little and I get a little caught up in the rhetoric and lost in the words and miss most of the meaning.  Then I get a little bored.

Rather if you give me a book that is a commentary on Romans, I will eat that up.  I love reading about the historical social world of the original writers.  I love read about what we know of Paul and what letters are actually his and which might not be.  I love the read about the ideas people have about how Paul's mission actually may have happened.  Or how in the letters Paul seems to have done things differently than how Acts portrays them.  I like to know what words and sentences could be translated differently with the chance that they are actually a veiled slam on the Roman Empire.  I like reading about Jewish revolts and the destruction of the Temple and disputes on when these books may have been written and disputes on authorship of these books of the Bible.

The story underneath the surface of the Bible that scholars have dedicated their lives to discern is way more fascinating to me than the actual texts.  But once I learn more about the background of the text it changes the way I may understand parts of the Bible.  Meaning changes and it becomes more interesting.  Trying to figure out the motivation behind the letters Paul wrote changes the feel of the letter, which in turn makes me think about it differently.  Maybe he wasn't writing to us today, but we can still learn from it.

In closing, I don't really like to read the Bible, but I love to read things about the Bible.  Reading about the Bible is way more interesting to me.  And maybe in the long run it makes the Bible come to life a little more and speak to me differently.  Bible reading plans for me suck, but reading plans that include books about the Bible sounds way more interesting.

Is anyone else like me?  What's your favorite book about the Bible?  What's your favorite book of the Bible?  Why?

Does anyone really comment?

8 comments:

Shane Moore said...

Mark I completely agree with you. As a endevaor to read the Bible in a year with church members, I have found it important to have a commentary with me so I can look back at it. For me I think it is about language and culture. I don't always understand the culture that is being referenced in the Bible so having a commentary to look at is helpful.

Sarah Angleton said...

Commentary is important and I agree that it is super interesting to get a more historical perspective on the writings of the Bible. I think the same thing is true of Bible discussions as well. If I am reading so that I may discuss the Word with others, I am more likely to really enjoy my readings. If you think about it, though, that makes a lot of sense. God didn't sit down with pen and paper and write the Bible directly to us. It is a collection of writings that approach God's relationship with His people through different perspectives and approaches. It is as much a conversation about God as it is a conversation with Him. So to read it in conversation with other people, whether in person or through written commentary seems really appropriate.

Mark said...

How! People commented! Sarah, I think you're right. The conversation about God is what the Bible is about. The problem I have is the conversation happened so long ago that I feel I'm missing half of it. That's why I like cultural/historical/social context. Plus, I like to watch scholars argue over different points, like when was this book written. It's like my reality tv.
Shane-I noticed your reading through the Bible in a year with your church via blog. I'm a little late to the party but I can join in now?

Mark said...

I meant wow, not how. I need an editor.

Shane Moore said...

Mark, go ahead and join in. I am encouraging people to join in whenever they can. If they are behind in the reading I tell them to pick up where we are at. I would appericate your comments and thoughts.

vandeven04 said...

Same feeling here. What books do you recommend? Personally, I really liked "Jesus, Interupted", "The Evolution of God", and "Divinity of Doubt".

Mark said...

Hey Lou,

I like really dense commentaries like The New Interpreter's Bible, but also "The Writing of the New Testament" by Luke Timothy Johnson, anything by John Dominic Crossan (such as God and Empire), anything by N. T. Wright, The Misunderstood Jew by Amy-Jill Levine. That's what comes up from the top of my head.

I'm writing down yours so I can read those, too.

vandeven04 said...

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have to hit up the library. I also forgot to add the Spiritual Writings of Leo Tolstoy. They're not really commentaries on the Bible, but some of his essays are amazing.